World Health Day this year is focussed on ‘Our planet, our health’ as more than 13 million deaths around the world each year are due to avoidable environmental causes.
One of our projects that looks to improve the health of people but also care for the environment is our fuel-efficient cookstoves.
If you haven’t heard of them before, these are the benefits to people and the planet:
- reduces household wood use from three bundles of wood per week to just one ▪️ contains the fire within the cookstove at the side of the kitchen, reducing injuries from burns
- has a double burner so that two pots can be cooked simultaneously, saving time
- produces substantially less smoke than the traditional three-stone fire, reducing coughing and breathing problems
- takes just one hour to make and is made from free local and readily available materials, and
- is LOVED by all the women who use it!
Learn more here.